Solution Manager 7.2 was released to user from the end of 2016. Since then many of SAP Customers are wondering when is the right time to upgrade their Solution Manager systems. With new features being released and updating the processes with every Support Pack, I guess we can say that now is the time. Though upgrading the system is free of cost, but the hassle of configuring the system from the scratch and to adjust the existing configuration according new process will be considerable especially making your system ready to use the all new User Experience of SAP Fiori launchpad. For such cases, to ease down this tiresome, SAP has introduced SAP Solution Manager 7.2 Focused Builds where SAP and its team of experts have configured and implemented many Solution Manager modules ranging from backend configuration to front-end UI with new Fiori Apps which are not available in the Fiori Library.
In this blog we are going to summarize those applications to give an overview of SAP Solution Manager 7.2 Focused Build to our readers.
Note: Focused Build is available as an add-on to Solution Manager 7.2 and not as a complete solution.
Following key value chains of Solution Manager 7.2 are have been implemented completely for their functionalities:
The Deciding factor
Since the focused build is available as an add-on, the real question is when is it recommended for the customers can go for focused build of Solution Manager 7.2 and when to use out-of-the-box Solution Manager 7.2?
A finger-in-the-air evaluation can be made as: if you have lot of WRICEF developments or Configurations planned for your IT Landscape and Solution Manager is being configured from the scratch for your IT Landscape, then it is recommended to use focused build add-on and if it is a pure transformation project, then it is sufficient to use out-of-the-box solution manager 7.2.
The main area where focused build has concentrated is the process of Requirements-to-Deploy (R2D). Apart from pre-configuration of standard process flow of Solution Manager 7.2, focused build provides following additional features:
New Fiori Applications in Focused Build
My Requirements App: create and manage Requirements from Fiori App
- Set Status of requirements
- Upload files as attachments
- New Header fields available
- User specific inbox of requirements
- Easy approval in UI5 user interface
- More Precise estimation based on value efforts
My Work Packages / My Work Item app: Edit Work Packages in UI5 app
- New sub-tab in Documentation ‘Current Status’ useful to track customer specific documents
- Embedded and foresighted document reporting informs the work package owner regarding expected documentation and document status
Test Steps and Test Executions: New apps completely integrated into Test Suite of SAP Solution Manager
- Test Steps: Application for Test Engineer to create manual tests using grid to describe test activities
- Test Execution: access for manual testes with high usability for casual users
Release Management (Release Dashboard):
- Drill down from top level dimension Release, Development Team and Systems down to the Transport Requests
- Breadcrumb navigation to show current context
- Effect Release Tracking
- Easily identify release issues